Monday, May 7, 2012

New Orleans summarized in photos

First of all, I love New Orleans.  There are so many things going on in so many directions.  There is literally something for everyone.  I was really lucky to have a private tour guide for my stay.  I don't think I would have gotten as much out of my time in NOLA without the wealth of historical background information provided by Dawn Carl (my hostess and the leader of our photowalk on saturday).  Dawn's background in genealogy really helped bring the architecture, culture, and history of the city to life.  We had a whirlwind tour -- I visited two plantations, a gigantic cemetery two parks, several bars, and restaurants known only to the locals.  I drank local beer, ate my first and second Po-Boy, and tried alligator and catfish.

I left New Orleans today with a smile on my face and a promise to myself to return soon.  There is so much more to see!


It's been a couple of days since my last blogpost, so here are a LOT of photos to reward you for your patience!  

Group photo from Saturday's excellent NOLA Photowalk coming soon :-)


The incredible 300+ year old oak trees of Oak Alley Plantation -- we waited 40 minutes to get a shot without people in it!

The dining room at Houmas House -- one of the most beautiful houses I've ever seen.  

The gorillapod comes through again...
10-22mm lens + gorillapod focus with ballhead x = epic levels of winning at spiral staircases

Looking up at a chandelier at the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans

One of the many gorgeous homes in the French Quarter

Looking toward a private courtyard in the French Quarter

The windows of the Roosevelt

Gorgeous scroll work on a gate in the Quarter

Hey look, its me!!!  This is my fake smile because an old man was telling me that my camera is too heavy and carrying it will hurt my back.  He then showed me his little point and shoot and told me it was just as good.  Yeah right, dude.  At least he didn't see me carrying my 50lbs. pack :-)

Do you think Oak Alley Plantation will let me build a tree house and set up shop?  I'll pull up my rope ladder during the day if its a liability thing...
It wouldn't be a trip to The Big Easy without a shot of a Mardi Gras mask!

Many many thanks to Christine at the New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau, to Hillary at Oak Alley Plantation, and to the lovely Dawn Carl for her amazing leadership on the photowalk, her wealth of historical knowledge, and for letting me try her gator bites.

I'm on the way to San Antonio for my first of two photowalks this week.  Join me and Lotus Carroll for Wednesday's Photowalk, or tag along on Saturday for Photowalk El Paso!

No comments:

Post a Comment