Monday, March 1, 2010

Jay Maisel talks about the importance of always carrying a camera

Not everyone immediately knows who Jay Maisel is, but you'd be surprised how many of his images you'd recognize.  Perhaps his most famous image is the cover image of Miles Davis' album "Kind of Blue", but his photography is everywhere.  Several years ago I learned that my Grandfather had been friends with Jay many years ago.  I was interested in learning more about him and his photographic style, so I took Jay's seminar "Light, Gesture, Color & New Works" at the PDN PhotoPlus Expo in NYC in 2008 and was astounded by how much I learned from him in just over an hour...  For any photographers out there who are looking for a way to add a little variety to their work, shift perspective, or get a new stylistic enthusiasm, start by researching Jay Maisel, his work, and his philosophy on photography.  You'll immediately catch yourself exploring the world in a different way -- seeking out new perspectives -- and it'll make all the difference in the photographs you take.


Here is a picture that Jay took of my Grandparents, with my Grandfather's camera, when they happened to run into each other in London in 1965.  



No comments:

Post a Comment